TheAussieZombie

The Aussie Zombie

Mila 2.0

MILA 2.0 - Debra Driza

I wanted to read Mila 2.0 from the moment I saw the amazing cover and read the synopsis - a girl, built in a science lab and programmed to act human? Robots! Action! Excitement! I also didn't want to get too excited - high expectations can be a real killer, however I'm pleased to say that Mila 2.0 was definitely not a disappointment.

I loved Mila - she was the epitome of my favourite kind of female character - smart and witty but also kind, grounded and a little insecure (although, finding out you are a robot is kind of bad for self-image). And as the story progressed and became more and more intense, her determination and strength really came into play, without being overbearing. I also really liked her mother, although not all of their past is explained fully in Mila 2.0, but I have a feeling there's definitely more to come in the subsequent books.

The pacing was really intense - action scenes abound, but Ms. Driza also took the time to develop relationships and characters and explain the science behind Mila without dumping buckets of information over my head. The action scenes were very well thought-out and explained without being too 'technical', and although I love a good dystopian, the story is set in the real world of today - no crazed despot leaders, apocalyptic disasters or strange habits and regimes.

There are plot twists and turns, both expected and unexpected, and at times the cynic in me thought I knew exactly where a storyline was headed, only to be proven happily wrong. There is some romance, but it occurs only at the beginning and the end and definitely doesn't overshadow the story for what it is - a tense, action-packed science-fiction thriller.

But Mila 2.0 is more than a science-fiction action thriller - it's also a book about what it means to be human, how emotions and actions are supposedly human reactions to certain situations, but Mila also feels like a human, and she struggles to accept that she is an android - and eventually she learns to use those feelings to survive whatever is thrown at her.

The only (small) issue I had with was a couple of little plot holes - not that there were contradictions, there were just a few points that weren't explained in a way that made me completely believe that particular scenario.

I really enjoyed reading Mila 2.0 - I loved the mixture of contemporary with science fiction and thriller, with great characters and action scenes, and I'm intrigued to find out where this series goes next.

Source: http://www.theaussiezombie.com/2013/03/review-mila-20-by-debra-driza.html