TheAussieZombie

The Aussie Zombie

Breakers

Breakers - Edward W. Robertson

If it wasn't for the inherent spazmoidness of my internet connection, it could have been a while before I read Breakers. But I was looking for a Kindle book to read, and lack of internets meant I only had a few downloaded, and I was in the mood for a post-apoc, so I started reading.............and even when my internets was (sporadically) restored, I kept reading.

What I liked best, and what will stick in my mind the longest, about Breakers is the characters. Often in post-apocalyptic books, with so much going on plot and world-building wise, the character development can be a little lacking, but that's not the case with Breakers.

Raymond and Mia are a fabulous couple. Their connection and dedication to each other, coupled with sarcastic, snicker-out-loud one liners made them totally realistic and three-dimensional. Walt was an interesting character, from a seemingly melodramatic, almost pathetic lapdog with a slightly psychotic side, through suicidal and into full-throttle action man was a riveting progression to see.

I loved the first half of Breakers - as the flu virus moves through the country, and the world, things start to fall apart - not in a day but over a period of time as services stop, looting starts and people are forced to become much more independent and it was written so well I almost felt I was witnessing a possible future.

And at first, when the spaceship appeared, it seemed like the story would carry on in the same way, with the additional bonus of alien invaders.

However, I found that the last 1/3 of the book started to feel more and more rushed, like the fun part of writing was over, and the author was going through the motions as quickly as possible to get to the intense ending. It did pick up slightly at the end, although the actions of some characters did seem a little far-fetched, even for a PA / Sci-Fi story. There was also one particular scene that should have had a huge impact on the characters that was almost over before it began, and I was quite disappointed that it wasn't more closely examined or explained. There is also large periods of time that elapse without a timeline being specified - I know the 'three months later' headings can be cheesy, but it was only at a mention of how much time had passed near the end of the book that I actually knew how much time had elapsed in the course of the story.

As a sci-fi book, the plot and world-building is fairly plausible, and there's a good balance in the amount of detail about the aliens and their technologies to satisfy pretty much everyone.

Overall, despite some pacing issues, I did enjoy Breakers. It was a pleasant surprise in terms of character development, but there were a few points that made it a little frustrating for me.

Read more of my reviews at The Aussie Zombie

Source: http://www.theaussiezombie.com/2012/12/review-breakers-by-edward-w-robertson.html