TheAussieZombie

The Aussie Zombie

Losing It (Losing It, #1)

Losing It - Cora Carmack

I've been actively avoiding the New Adult genre up until now. Seeing as I only started reading Young Adult books two years ago, I really shouldn't be so genre-snobbish - I mean, surely New Adult books can't ALL be ALL about sex, right?

So I was hesitant to pick up Losing It. I actually objected to the whole synopsis, right from the beginning. I'm not going to preach on about how girls should consider their virginity a treasure blah blah, because (and yes this may be TMI!) I didn't. However, the fact that Bliss is still a virgin and seemingly suddenly decides to find a random guy to 'lose it' to didn't really sit right with me. And in fact, in the opening scenes of the book, she seems to keen to get it over and done with, I wondered why if it had been bothering her so much she didn't do something about it sooner....

As the story progressed, I came to like Bliss a lot more than I thought after my initial impression. She's funny, awkward and more than a little confused about exactly what she wants in life, love and her career so she's very easy to relate to. I did think that Garrick was sweet and a genuinely nice-guy, but I didn't actually feel that character crush moment - perhaps having an English boyfriend myself has made those British accent's a little less enthralling ;).

There was the expected and inevitable drama and misunderstanding, and some turmoil and sneaking around with the whole professor / student relationship which did feel like it wasn't taken all that seriously and some passionate and well written intimate moments (man I feel old calling make-out / sex scenes 'intimate moments!).

Losing It isn't completely predictable, but it didn't set my world on fire either - it's the kind of book that I enjoy when I don't really want to have to think about what I'm reading or struggle with emotional or moral dilemmas Overall this was a fun read, and I breezed through it pretty quickly. By the end I was enjoying the characters and their interaction, and Bliss and Garrick's story is certainly sweet and cute.

Read more of my reviews at The Aussie Zombie

Source: http://www.theaussiezombie.com/2013/04/review-losing-it-by-cora-carmack.html