TheAussieZombie

The Aussie Zombie

Thin Space - Jody Casella I was drawn to Thin Space primarily because of the paranormal aspect - the idea of portals between the living and dead world based on ancient mythology sounded like an interesting addition to a book about grief and the way that people react to the loss of a loved one.

As a main character, Marshall is an interesting one - he's completely withdrawn from life after the death of his brother and is completely consumed by the idea of finding a thin space - even going to the lengths of walking around barefoot in the snow because you can only go through a thin space with bare feet. The first thing that stood out to me however, was that he was allowed to go barefoot at school and it was allowed because of his 'grief', and it wasn't until nearly the end of the book that I realised why it was presented that way.

I did find that the secondary characters, both male and female started to blend together - the boys were stereotypical jocks and the girls stereotypical airheads with very generic names - there was nothing that made them stand out from each other.

There are no moments of humour or light-heartedness in Thin Space - it's very melancholy and rather slow-moving, although it all fits the tone of the story and the style of writing. It did make me more sympathetic towards Marshall, and I too became consumed in his mission to find a thin space.

I would have liked there to have been more discussion on the moral and ethical implications of thin spaces, but this book is far more focused on Marshall's personal mission, rather than being something that multiple people are exposed to, but it's definitely food for thought.

Thin Space was a quick, and rather enjoyable read. I wasn't hugely enamoured with the ending myself, as it felt rather abrupt but if you enjoy contemporary with a touch of paranormal, I would recommend checking out Thin Space.