TheAussieZombie

The Aussie Zombie

Outside (Outside, #1)

Outside - a post-apocalyptic novel - Shalini Boland

The world has been changed by a series of terror attacks, causing riots and subsequently segregation of the population into Perimeters for those who are lucky enough to have money and connections, or isolated trading posts where large parts of the population live in close quarters on the knifes edge of poverty. Religious nuts, raiders and scavengers roam the landscape looking for converts or victims.

Most of the focus is on the two main characters, Riley and Luc, as they leave the safety of the Perimeter and cross the country in search of the man who murdered Riley's sister. As they grow closer along their journey, able to rely only on each other, Riley struggles with her feelings for Luc and her loyalty towards her sister.

There's a lot I can't tell you about this book without giving away large parts of the story, but I was completely taken by surprise by some of the events in Outside - which make it a memorable, thrilling read, with emotions running high all the way through.

Outside is written in a way that kept me flipping through the pages, biting my fingernails and that good old 'one more chapter' feeling was ever-present. For an independently published book, I didn't notice a single error and the quality of the writing is exceedingly good.

Read more of my reviews at The Aussie Zombie

Source: http://www.theaussiezombie.com/2012/06/review-outside-by-shalini-boland.html