TheAussieZombie

The Aussie Zombie

Dark Inside (Dark Inside #1)

Dark Inside - Jeyn Roberts

It took me about three hours to read Dark Inside - although I was tired, grumpy and a little hungover, I couldn't stop. This is the ultimate in 'one more chapter' reading.

Firstly, and most importantly, Dark Inside is not a zombie novel. It's a wonderful mix of paranormal post-apocalyptic action - from the first chapter I was completely hooked. Focused on four main characters with a cast of unforgettable secondary characters, it begins with a bang and just doesn't slow down, all the way through.

All four characters are incredibly different, but all either likable or easy to sympathise with. Aries is a strong female character with brains, Mason is the guilt-ridden survivor, Clementine is the ditz who survives despite her naive ideas and action and Michael is thrust into a world that grows increasingly dark by the minute but manages to keep his head above water. And then there's Nothing - the character that knows all about the dark, but doesn't reveal more than small glimpses of him, or her, self.

Of the secondary characters I particularly loved Chickadee with her infectious energy and I loved to hate Colin. It takes a special character for me to hate them so much I'm hoping for their downfall!

The world-building grabbed me immediately - I HAVE to know more about the darkness, and just what causes all this crazy shiz to go down.

There's no faulting the pacing of Dark Inside. It is literally a rollercoaster that I didn't want to get off - so much that I went and bought the second book, Rage Within, when I was only halfway through Dark Inside, because I knew I wanted to have the next book ready.

If you love fast-paced books with excellent characterisation, where the secrets of the apocalypse are tantalisingly dangled in front of you, read Dark Inside. I can't believe I waited this long to read it!

Read more of my reviews at The Aussie Zombie

Source: http://www.theaussiezombie.com/2012/11/review-dark-inside-by-jeyn-roberts.html