TheAussieZombie

The Aussie Zombie

Girl of Nightmares (Anna #2)

Girl of Nightmares - Kendare Blake

Anna Dressed in Blood will be one of my favourite reads of 2012, without a doubt. Creepy and snarky, with a whole cast of unforgettable characters, the bar was set pretty high for the sequel, Girl of Nightmares, which I relentlessly stalked for months and then didn't have time to read when it was first released. Plus it has one of the best covers ever.

Girl of Nightmares features far less of our beloved Anna, but it does delve deeper into the history of the athane and cranks the creepy factor up even higher than the first book. However, it did take me a good 50 pages or so to really get into the story, and I was starting to wonder just when it would take off and blow me away like the first book.

What I really liked about the characters in Girl of Nightmares is that although they are the same characters as in the first book, they've grown up a little and are taking this whole ghost thing pretty damn seriously. This is something that I quite often find missing in YA series - the characters who don't seem to learn from their experiences in the first book and just seem to be repeating the same mistakes. Cas, Thomas and Carmel have become closer and also more wary about their adventures into the other-world, not rushing blindly in but doing their research and preparation.

Once I got going, there was no stopping with this book - the tension built up gradually and then the rollercoaster started with a whole cast of freaky, creepy and downright scary ghosts and culminating in the ultimate battle of good versus evil, with some surprising revelations along the way.

The ending is perfect - again Kendare Blake has broken the 'normal' mold for Young Adult books and created a story that I both thoroughly enjoyed and is most definitely memorable. A perfect Halloween read!

Read more of my reviews at The Aussie Zombie

Source: http://www.theaussiezombie.com/2012/10/review-girl-of-nightmares-anna-2-by.html