TheAussieZombie

The Aussie Zombie

Angel Evolution

Angel Evolution - David Estes

Angel Evolution, the first book in the Evolution Trilogy by David Estes, is the story of Taylor, a slightly unusual teenage girl in her first year of college who meets a mysterious, gorgeous guy whilst hunting for four leaf clovers in the rain. Drawn to his ‘light’, she quickly discovers that Gabriel is no normal college boy – he’s an angel. Taylor has been plagued by dreams of beings and evil snakes and even has the snake tattooed on her shoulder – her own way of trying to overcome the dreams that haunt her.

Told in alternating POV’s, Angel Evolution progresses through Taylor meeting Gabriel and discovering his true identity, to her best friend Sam and the mysteriously dark boy, Chris, who begins dating Sam after meeting her through Taylor.

I had a little trouble with the relationship and dialogue between Taylor and Gabriel – a little bit too insta-love for my tastes, and some of the dialogue was a little stilted (like Taylor saying ‘man’ in a couple of conversations with Gabriel – sure I call my bf ‘dude’ sometimes, but I’ve never called him ‘man’). And the story was perhaps unintentionally hijacked by the relationship between Chris and Sam, which was a little cuter and funnier. As a character, I liked that Taylor wasn’t the stereotypical teenage girl, however at times she seemed a little too trusting of a dude with massive white wings, and my fondness for Gabriel ebbed in some parts of the book.

I did appreciate the way that the history of the Angels and Demons was weaved into the story without feeling like a data-dump, and there’s a twist to this book that I didn’t imagine when I started reading.

What I did love was the song lyrics at the beginning of each ‘part’ of the book - I only wish there had been more!

Overall this is a solid book with an interesting storyline. I’m hoping that the characters mature and grow a little in the next book in the series, which I do want to read.

Source: http://www.theaussiezombie.com/2012/03/blog-tour-review-angel-evolution-by.html