TheAussieZombie

The Aussie Zombie

Jenny Pox (The Paranormals #1)

Jenny Pox - J.L. Bryan

The first thing I have to say about Jenny Pox is that I was surprised to learn that the author is a man. Now, I don't mean that to be sexist, but as a compliment - he wrote a fantastic female protagonist. The second thing I have to say is that this is probably one of the BEST Kindle freebies I have ever read. And if it's a strategy to get me to buy the rest of the series, it's certainly gotten the next two books bumped up to the top of my wishlist.

The plot of Jenny Pox is just what it says on the box - Jenny is an isolated, lonely girl living with her father and just generally trying to avoid everyone, as anyone she touches immediately breaks out in 'Jenny Pox', a pretty icky disease kinda like small-pox. When she meets Seth, who also possesses a unique power, she also finds the one person that she can touch without killing them.

I loved Jenny - I couldn't help but cheer for her through the whole book, through pain, happiness and anger, and the nastiness of the kids at her high school, the way she cared for her heartbroken and broken father, and her emergence into a more confident and happy girl. And Seth was awesome, especially as the book progressed and he fell in love with Jenny - he was continually looking out for her, and didn't seem phased by his friends pretty much dumping him when he started dating Jenny. And Ashleigh? Ohhhhhh that girl is Evil (with a capital E), manipulative and power-hungry.

The writing makes for easy reading without being overly-simplified. The dialogue was realistic and true to the characters, and several of the little side stories were heart-stopping or majorly creepy.

The ending of Jenny Pox is pretty intense and I loved it! I was flipping furiously through the pages, and literally couldn't put it down until I reached the climax. And although this is part of a series, I didn't want to throw the book (which would be risky seeing as I read it on my tablet!) across the room in cliffhanger-tantrum - instead I was almost satisfied - and I say almost because I can't wait to read the next book in the series.

If you have Jenny Pox on your Kindle, or have a Kindle and can snag a copy - read it. Now. Seriously.

Read more of my reviews at The Aussie Zombie

Source: http://www.theaussiezombie.com/2012/04/review-jenny-pox-paranormals-1.html