TheAussieZombie

The Aussie Zombie

The Dying of the Light: End

The Dying of the Light: End  - Jason Kristopher, Oliver Wetter, Dennis Fanning

Full review on my blog: http://theaussiezombie.blogspot.com/

The Dying of the Light: End starts with a prologue about David, who I would consider to be the main character of the book and a run-down of some recent US zombie outbreaks and how they were contained by the military. Fast forward a year, and David is recruited into the secret military group that is responsible for containing and covering-up zombie outbreaks.

There is not a lot of zombie action in this book – the story is centered on the secret military group charged with keeping the outbreaks under wraps and the forming of their relationships, both positive and negative. Although the book is heavily militaristic in setting, it’s not an overkill of talking about tactics, guns and other weapons – these are all, naturally, mentioned and explained, but for the reader who (like me) doesn’t particularly enjoy this kind of stuff, there’s no skimming required as the information is kept to the necessary minimum. There’s also some information about the virus itself, which is interesting but not excessive.

The Dying of the Light: End, does read a little like a movie script – it reminded me of Starship Troopers to be honest, but with far less battle scenes. The dialogue is a little cheesy in some places, but not overly so, and the characters that should be likeable are, and the ones that shouldn’t be are not (no cheering on the baddies here). The POV does shift from David in the first person to other characters in the third person, which can be a little confusing.

There are some emotional scenes, one had me particularly misty-eyed, but the overall feeling of this book is that it is a set-up of characters and relationships for the next book. This is not necessarily a bad thing, but if you’re looking for a whole lot of zombie-killing brain-munching heart-skipping action, you may find this book slightly disappointing. I did like this one, quite a lot, and will be looking forward to the next book.

Source: http://www.theaussiezombie.com/2011/12/dying-of-light-end-by-jason-kristopher.html